I’m without a kitchen for three months because we’re having a big home renovation. This means I’m working with a camping stove, a bbq and a microwave. It’s seriously testing my creativity and resolve to cook proper meals.
Thankfully the weather has been stunning recently so the BBQ has been getting a lot of action. It’s still a bit of a novelty too, because we rarely get the chance to cook al fresco in England.
Here’s a little dish (and the recipe) I rustled up a couple of weeks ago, using my lovely new kebab sticks from Turkey:
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
MAKES: 4 kebabs
- 20 fresh raw king prawns
- 1 small punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 2 homegrown yellow courgettes
- 1 green pepper
- 12 mushrooms (washed or peeled)
- Homemade spicy sweet chilli jam (or sweet chilli sauce)
- Black pepper
- Pour the chilli jam and black pepper over the prawns and leave to marinate for at least 1 hr, but preferably overnight.
- Toss in the mushrooms for the last half an hour so they take on some of the flavour, too.
- Thread the prawns, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers onto the metal skewers, then cook on a griddle on the BBQ for 7-8 mins each side. Or until the prawns are thoroughly cooked and pink.
- Turn the kebabs frequently and baste with the marinade from time to time until evenly cooked.
- Serve alongside salad and buttery jersey royals