A quick and easy summer dessert that is sure to impress. The perfect show-stopper for the beginner host.
A couple of weeks ago I visited friends in the French Alps. They put on a magnificent BBQ spread which included this stunning summer dessert – Summer Berry Eton Mess.
We’ve just missed the strawberry and raspberry season (June) but August sees the arrival of blueberries so it’s the perfect time to pick these up from somewhere local.
Here’s the recipe for this impressive summer dessert, to try for yourself:
PREP TIME: 15 mins
- 250g strawberries
- 150g raspberries
- 100g blueberries
- 400ml double cream softly whipped (or use half Greek yoghurt for a healthier version)
- 4 ready-made meringue nests, crushed
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pop all the berries in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and mix.
- In a separate bowl, put the cream/yoghurt and the vanilla and whip to soft peaks. Be careful not to whip for too long, or you’ll end up with stiff peaks.
- Next break up all the meringue nests, creating a mixture of chunks and finer meringue dust.
- Carefully fold the cream in with the meringue and half of the berries.
- Finish off by sprinkling the remaining berries on the top of cream and meringue mix.