Foodilic is one of my favourite lunch spots in Brighton for healthy food. If there was such a thing as health food heaven, this would be it. It’s on North Street, which isn’t known for its great food spots and is one of those places that you can easy walk past and miss.
It prides itself on high-quality, nutritious and delicious produce for the best value for money and serves a range of organic and raw salads, as well as the following hot options: Coq au vin, beef and pork bourguignon, rice, mash and pasta (for those that don’t want to go full veggie/vegan).
There’s also a soup of the day which is £3 and a range of juices, smoothies and milkshakes around the £3.50 mark. ‘Feuillete’ which means freshly made pastries with a range of sweet and savoury fillings are also on the menu if the former isn’t enough for you.
You can either fill a (very) small takeaway box for £5 or take advantage of the ‘all you can eat’ buffet option for £6.95 (or £3.50 for a child). Naturally, the plates are teeny-tiny to discourage customers from overfilling and wasting food, but that’s a good thing in my eyes and you can always go up for more.
I popped along last week and here are some of the delicious salads that were on offer:
- Penne Pasta Salad: Homemade pesto, sundried tomatoes, spring onions, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper (veggie-friendly)
- Summer Leaf Salad: Mixed leaves, red and yellow pepper, cucumber, lemon juice, red onion, cherry tomato, olive oil, honey & balsamic vinegar (gluten-free & veggie friendly)
- Beetroot Goat’s Cheese Salad: Orange, goat’s cheese, olive oil, cumin, honey, wholegrain mustard, white vinegar, salt & pepper (gluten-free & veggie-friendly)
- Roasted Butternut Squash: Red onion, pumpkin seeds, roasted squash seeds, olive oil, salt & pepper (gluten-free, vegan & veggie friendly)
- Roasted Vegetables: Red onion, peppers, aubergine, courgette, carrot, cherry tomatoes, garlic, honey, olives, balsamic vinegar, thyme, parsley, salt & pepper (gluten-free & veggie friendly)
- Mediterranean Salad: Tomato, red onion, cucumber, pepper, olives, feta cheese, basil, parsley, salt & pepper, (gluten-free & veggie friendly)
- Spinach Salad: Mushrooms, homemade basil pesto, lemon juice, walnut oil, salt & pepper (gluten-free, vegan & veggie friendly)
- Green Beans & Mange Tout: Walnuts & orange zest dressing (gluten-free & veggie friendly)
- Giant Cous Cous: Raw zucchini & cherry tomatoes
There are just so many tasty options to pick from (many of which are veggie and vegan-friendly) and I’ve always enjoyed every meal I’ve had here. Personally, my favourite dish is the green beans & mange tout – fruity, crunching and moreish.
PRICE: £6.95 (all you can eat) or £5 for a small takeaway box
RATING: Must Go | Worth a Try | Give it a Miss
SCORES ON THE DOORS: 3/5 from the FSA food hygiene
My only criticisms are the low food hygiene rating from the FSA and the way the service happens. You grab a plate and help yourself, but then the waitress/waiter brings you your drinks and the final bill to the table, but you don’t pay there, you pay at the till which is rather disjointed and confusing for the customer. How about a pay and receive a plate mechanism? Other than that though I don’t have a bad word to say about the food. So support an independent food joint and try it out for yourself.